Menu

Thursday, September 5, 2013

MY NEW MORNING LOVE: OIL PULLING


One of those things that instantly resonated with me when I read about is “oil pulling”, immediately I started doing it as a part of my morning routine. This is a healing method of traditional ayurvedic medicine that was introduced to the modern world in 1992 by Dr. F. Karach, who claimed that cures a wide range of diseases.

Our mouths are full of viruses, bacteria, fungi and parasites that consistently, when our immune system is compromised, take advantage in damaging our gums and teeth, also sometimes traveling through our body and blood resulting in secondary infections. The oil acts as a cleaner that extracts all those toxins and congestion, collects and allows it to easily be ejected. Many naturopathic physicians recommend oil pulling as a powerful form of detoxification and healing.

Some benefits reported are:

-          Healthy gums that stop bleeding
-          Acne free skin
-          Relief from allergies
-          Better sleep quality and mental clarity
-          Preventing bad breath
-          Whiter teeth
-          Increased energy
-          Improved lymphatic system
-          Nasal cavity and sinus relief
-          Less headaches
-          Improvement of pre-menstrual symptoms

How to do it?

It’s actually very simple, as soon as you wake up and before eating or drinking anything, fill a tablespoon with preferably organic, high quality oil, may be of sesame, sunflower, olive oil (extra virgin) or coconut (unrefined, cold pressed). At the moment I’m using coconut oil because it's high content of lauric acid, which contains antibacterial, anti-fungal, antioxidant, antiviral qualities, and also because it tastes good compared to the others. I also recommend that the coconut oil is melted, so it's more enjoyable.

Put the oil in your mouth and start swishing it all around, in between your teeth just like mouthwash. Avoid gargles because the oil is going to get toxic and highly contaminated with bacteria so you should never swallow it. 

Keep it in your mouth for 15 to 20 minutes, remember to mix well with your saliva and pass it between your teeth and every corner of your mouth. When time is over, spit in the toilet or in the trash, as the oil can clog your pipes (especially if its coconut oil, because it hardens). If you're going to use the sink, clean it with antibacterial solution, remember that what you're releasing is full of microbes that you certainly do not want to leave there. Then brush your teeth with toothpaste (I use Earthpaste , which is natural) and you are ready to go.

Although it may sounds exaggerated I use two toothbrushes, one for after "pulling" and the other for normal use. I soak the one for the extraction in a cup with a mix of water and hydrogen peroxide after each wash and I can only say that many bubbles appear in there (euw!). Also, if you wake up and you don't have 20 minutes to spare, take advantage and do it while showering, the steam will help soften any congestion you may have.

It can be repeated three times a day if you want to detox faster (although I think it's too much), always on an empty stomach and I highly suggest that you start slowly. If you feel your symptoms intensify do not stop, it just means you are expelling toxins, it is completely normal and will pass.

I started it about two months ago, only in the mornings and have noticed that my teeth are much whiter, I don't have that heavy feeling in my mouth or bad breath, my tongue is always pink and most times I expel mucus after I finish (which I did not even know I had). In fact, sometimes I floss and accidentally hurt my gums and get them inflamed, so I do an oil pulling session and in a day gets back to normal.

Some symptoms I had, especially during the first month, was the appearance of several skin eruptions around the mouth and chin, plus several liquid bubbles on my palate. Gradually they stopped and never got serious. The truth is that I don't know exactly if it was totally related to the "pulling", but if toxins are leaving my tissues I'm totally up for that!

I recommend it 100%, it is such an important part of my oral hygiene and my waking ritual that I don't feel that my mouth is fresh and clean if I skip it. I hope you start practicing it and would love to read your comments about it.

With Love,
Romina 

No comments:

Post a Comment