Menu

Monday, September 9, 2013

RECIPE: SMOOTHIE SUPER BOWL

I must admit that I'm head over heels when it comes to transforming my morning smoothies into delicious creamy bowls. I get creative with fun toppings of nuts, seeds, grains and super foods, also playing with different combinations of fruits and greens depending on my mood that day. I usually eat it as a pre-workout breakfast mainly because fruits fill you up with energy, fiber and antioxidants, greens oxygenate your cells and nuts and seeds provide a much needed protein kick.

The thing that makes me laugh is that even when I try to sound avant garde with my recipe, this was something I ate as a pre-teen for about three to four years while in school EVERY SINGLE morning. My mom was a vegetarian and her routine started at 6:30 am, preparing me and my brother various combinations of frozen fruit smoothie bowls (my favorite was banana-mango-orange juice) for breakfast before leaving to school. I remember walking to class with two sweaters and a bad case of hypothermia (masochism I still apply), but they were so worth it.

Ingredients

1 frozen banana
1/2 apple
1/2 cucumber
1 baby spinach bunch
1 tsp spirulina
1 tsp ground flaxseeds
1/2 tsp chlorella
1 tbsp of vegetable protein (I use Vega) optional
1/4 cup of water or unsweetened almond milk
Ice
  
Blend everything (I have a Vitamix and it really makes my life incredibly easy...and from the moment we laid eyes on each other we couldn't resist having an incestuous relationship of love and vegetables. But don't get discouraged because any blender will work, the only thing that could vary a bit is the consistency).

Toppings

1 chopped nectarine
Goji berries
Pumpkin seeds
Unsweetened shredded coconut
1 tsp hemp seeds

Other ingredients that I use in this type of bowls are coconut water, cocoa nibs, almond butter, granola (I prefer homemade because usually the come prepared with too much sugar), cinnamon, oat flakes, chia seeds and sliced almonds among many other things.

Hope you enjoy this new simple, healthy, vegan and delicious option for your morning (which also saves me on "those womanly days" when I want to devour seven pints of ice cream). Let me know  your thoughts in the comments below!

With Love,
Romina

No comments:

Post a Comment