Menu

Monday, May 12, 2014

BANANA AND OAT FIT MUFFINS (VEGAN-GLUTEN FREE)

Hey guys! Two weeks ago I started a new 3 month exercise plan, as part of the challenge of the Bikini Body ebook guide from Australian trainer Kayla Itsines (@kayla_itsines), who has everyone raving on Instagram. They are basically timed plyo circuits (with resistance, either dumbbells or weight of your body) 3 days a week, and cardio all the other days to burn fat rapidly. This is no joke, they are HARD, but good.

I was investigating about the best types of breakfast (which is also my pre-workout meal), and found that ideally you should mix complex carbs, protein and good fats. Searching, I discovered a good recipe for vegan muffins in the book "Happy Hervibore: Light and Lean" and modified it to make it gluten free and extra fit. Right now is definitely my brekkie addiction (after workout I have my green smoothie with spirulina, chlorella and all the goodies). I usually combine these gems with a teaspoon of almond butter (while I devour), or I add some slivered almonds in them for extra protein and good fats.


Here is the recipe, enjoy!

INGREDIENTS (11-12 muffins)

1 ¾ cups of oatmeal flour
1 tbsp baking powder (aluminum free)
2 tbsp coconut sugar (has low glycemic index). I haven’t tried baking them with stevia but by all means if you do, let me know how they come out. I don’t recommend white or brown sugar.
½ cup almond milk or coconut milk
2 ripe bananas
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 scoop of chocolate protein powder (I use the brand Vega because it’s vegan and delicious). The protein is not required for the recipe but I like the extra boost.
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
Pinch of salt



PREPARATION

- Preheat oven to 350F.

- In a bowl mix oat flour, baking powder,  protein powder, salt and coconut sugar/stevia.

- Then in a food processor, blend two bananas with ¼ cup almond milk until it’s smooth.

- Pour the liquid from the banana into the bowl and mix by hand.

- Then add the applesauce, vanilla extract and ¼ cup almond milk.

- Mix everything well until smooth.

- Put the baking liners in a muffin pan and add the mix until they a bit more than a half full. (They will grow).

- Bake for 15-20 minutes and voila!

I usually prepare them, wait for them to cool completely, pack them in pairs in ziplock freezer bags and store in the freezer so they can last me all week. Each night I grab my portion, cover the muffins in paper towel and place them inside the ziplock bag again, then pass it to the fridge. In the morning, I take them out, heat them in the toaster oven for a few minutes and there you go...instant breakfast! If you leave them at room temperature, they will get stinky within 2-3 days.




I hope you love them as much as I do! They are also great for kids snacks :)


With Love,
Romina

No comments:

Post a Comment