Menu

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

FINDING TOXIC FREE MAKEUP AT LAST

A couple of posts ago I mentioned how frustrated I was because I couldn't find makeup brands that were not only great looking on the skin, but that also didn't contain toxic ingredients, were tested on animals and were harmful to my health. Remember that our skin is the largest organ we have and everything that we put into it will be absorbed by our bodies.

After nearly five months of research, ordering samples online (as most of these alternative brands are not sold in most stores) and a lot of trial and error, I found several "jewels" that made me super happy (there are still a couple of basics that I haven't found such as powder shadows), but I'm on the search.


These products are really the ones I'm using at the moment, and remember that even if I recommend something specific, it doesn't mean that necessarily their whole line of cosmetics is just as safe (just in case always check www.ewg.org/skindeep) for the product punctuation and ingredient list.


1. RMS "Un"-coverup (shade 22): this cream foundation also works as a concealer and although at first I was skeptical about it working both ways and the coverage that it would have, I just went for it, tried it and definitely loved it. It blends well with your skin tone and gives a fresh and natural look. The base is not matte, so if you don't like the sort of shiny look this is not the foundation for you. To me it seems fantastic for everyday use, (I hate having heavy makeup on my face and more in the sticky Miami weather) and if at night you want to make it last longer or be matte, I just add some loose powder and I'm ready to go. I do think it's expensive ($36) for the size of it, but in my opinion it is worth it, anyway I do not wear makeup every day, so for me it will last.

Another foundation that I want to recommend is the "Atmosphere Focus Foundation" from Vapour Organic Beauty. I tried this liquid foundation from a tester I ordered on their page, and loved the tone and healthy texture and glow it leaves on the face, the only problem is that it has a characteristic odor (not bad), but I have a very sensitive sense of smell and made me a little dizzy when I had it on. But it is definitely very good. I would definitely encourage to buy a sample on their website. ($48)

 
2. RMS. Buriti Bronzer: I had been wanting to find something to make me the corrections of my face and got this creamy bronzer that goes perfect with the foundation I mentioned before. It basically melts into the skin. Is not orangy and super shiny like most of the bronzers you find out there, but promotes a more "toasted" tone. You don't need to use much because it is quite dark. You can apply it with your fingers or a brush, and it blends perfectly. ($28)

 
3. Juice Beauty - Simply Flawless Pressed Powder: I saw this powder in several health blogs, plus is part of the line designed by Alicia Silverstone for the organic brand Juice Beauty. Alicia got into this great lifestyle and is known for promoting ecological options, it's an activist, vegan, conservationist and wrote a best seller book called "The Kind Diet". This pressed powder is naturally lightweight but covers well, the color is perfect for me but they only offer one tone (that supposedly goes with all skin types), but I personally think that if your skin color is much darker than mine it won't work for you. I like it because if I only want a light coverage I apply it with a big brush and it gives me that matte natural look, or if you want to use it as a thicker base, you can apply it dry with a sponge. The packaging is made ​​from recycled cardboard, it has never been tested on animals, no petroleum, parabens, sulfates, pesticides, phthalates, artificial dyes or synthetic fragrances. ($24)

 
4. Vapour Organic Beauty - Aura Multi Use Blush in SPARK: the cream blushes of this brand have me obsessed with how beautiful they are, I've tried three and love them all. I highly recommend them, first because they come in a tube that you can carry in your bag and it very slim and convenient, second because the colors are gorgeous, and they also have matte options and others with a touch of subtle sparkle. My favorite at the moment is Spark, because it gives a super natural peach tone that when applied to my cheekbones it looks as if the sun kissed my skin. Also if you are more of a fuchsia/pink tone fan I recommend the "Courtesan", but if you love your sparkle, then "Starlet" is beautiful. I want them all! I think I'll slowly start collecting them. ($34)

 
5. RMS - Living Luminizer: This is a glowy highlighter cream,  the best seller product from the brand and favorited by models like Gisele and Miranda Kerr. In my opinion it's a nice formulated product because you don't look like a crazy lady with a bright shiny stripe, but it's when the light hits your face that it actually looks like a healthy glow is oozing from your skin, highlighting your cheekbones, nose, forehead, and various points of your face and collarbone. The only thing that I should warn you about is that it feels sticky when touch your face, but since it's something you don't smear all over your face, it's not something that particularly bothers me. I also love to use it below the brow bone. I recommend it and think it goes perfectly with a natural look or a more sultry and sexy night makeup, it's on the expensive side but it lasts a lot, since just a little goes a long way. ($38)

 
6. Vapour Organic Beauty - Mesmerize Eye Shimmer (in CINDER): here comes the complicated issue. The hardest thing to find are shadows with good ingredients that have long lasting application. The brands that I have been testing only carry cream eye shadows which doesn't bother me, but the reviews I've read speak against them because their lack of uniform coverage, loss of color intensity, and the heavy creasing on the eyelids, etc. I decided to order a sample of Cinder, a sandy slightly shiny tone and loved it. Since it's a light color I haven't noticed all these problems I've been reading about. It's always the creamy base of my eye color, comes in a super slim tube and is really easy to blend with powder shadows, providing a natural look for an every day look. I have not tried the other colors of this line, but the people at RMS sent me a tester of their color Magnetic (beautiful), but I did had some problems with the creasing so I'm not sure I would order it full size. ($18)

 
7. Physician's Formula (Organic Wear) - 100 % Natural Origin Mascara: I don't recommend all of the products of this brand, I have taken into account only it's organic wear line and I've only used this mascara. The advantage of it is that you can find it in many U.S. pharmacies, which means no shipping yay!. This mascara surprised me more than I expected. I've used other organic brands and they usually run, this one doesn't which is great, leaving you with lovely lashed, and even though they don't give you the super duper volumizing double last blast (haha), it definitely define them, make them look natural and beautiful. I truly love it. According to their page, it has no chemicals, synthetic preservatives, parabens, synthetic fragrances and colors or GMO 's. The best thing is that it's cheap. ($9.95)

 
8. Juice Beauty - Purely Kissable Lip Color: This is the only lip color from Alicia Silverstone's collection, and I decided to buy it because I can't find decent lipsticks without chemicals since I could be "eating" them during the day (euw!). The tone is a lovely pink that goes with all skin types, it feels nourishing on the lips, is delicate and looks natural. If you want a super saturated MAC style tone this is not for you (I would also like to find bolder tones especially for nights out, and I suffer because I do love a red mouth, but haven't found anything yet). Vapour, has some called Siren Lipsticks in beautiful shades (even the dark shades are not matte, always slightly translucent), but I still have a problem with the scent, and although I bought testers and liked "Courage" I can't wear them. The cost of Juice Beauty lipstick is $16, it also comes in recycled cardboard packaging, not very practical but it's nice to make an effort to help mother earth. RMS beauty had a promo on their page that with your order you could get one of their lipshines for free in the shade "Moment", so why not?. The color was not my style, because it's more of a brownish shade, lovely, but I'm more of a coral, pink, red, and burgundy kind of gal. The texture of the gloss is smooth.


With all of these, I achieved to wear makeup again without guilt, and although at first I was nervous about my purchases, as there is nothing worse than buying makeup online without seeing the shade and trying it on your skin, I'm very happy and satisfied of the products I chose. Now I need a brown and a black powder shadow, one eyebrow shadow, and an eyeliner, so I'm still hunting. If any of you know a brand or product that I should try (remember organic, not tested on animals, and without chemicals) write it in the comments and I will definitely check them out.



This is how all of the products look applied to my skin :)

I hope this serves as a guide and remember to care for yourself inside and out!


With Love,

Romina

No comments:

Post a Comment