Menu

Friday, December 27, 2013

EGGPLANT LASAGNA WITH RED LENTILS. (VEGAN)

Every time my mom came to visit me anywhere in the world where I've lived (I’m adventurous so it’s been a few), the first thing I ask her is if she can prepare me her eggplant lasagna. Unfortunately I haven’t seen her for a few months, so I decided to make my vegan version of it. Hopefully I can make it for her next time, and she gets to admit that it’s better than hers…well, maybe not better but equally delicious.

This lasagna is not only amazing (my husband is not vegan and he asked for seconds), but it’s healthy and made with vegetable ingredients only. Low fat, no dairy and of course, no meat.

I feel really satisfied with the result...it’s very creamy, light and full of flavor. Accompany it with a side of salad to balance it out with some refreshing raw veggies.



Here is the recipe!

Ingredients

  • 1 can of organic tomatoes
  • Fresh or dried basil
  • Oatmeal flour (you can prepare it by pulverizing oat flakes in a food processor or vitamix).
  • Unsweetened almond milk
  • 2 large eggplants
  • 400g organic red lentils
  • 1 large onion
  • 6 carrots
  • Coconut sugar
  • Olive Oil
  • Coconut oil
  • Nutmeg
  • Salt

Marinara sauce prep:

1. In a saucepan add a splash of olive oil. Then add the can of organic tomatoes, the pinch of salt, and a tablespoon of agave (coconut sugar or any other sugar... in this case I don't recommend stevia because it will give it a strange flavor). In my house we enjoy our sauce a bit on the sweet side, if this is not the case for you, just use half a tablespoon.
2. Mix all the ingredients on high until it boils.
3. When it reaches the boiling point, slow cook and put a lid on the pan. Add the basil leaves at this time.
4. Cook for a minimum 20 minutes, the more it slow cooks the best it tastes (my grandma leaves it for like an hour and a half, talk about killing the enzymes hahaha! but it tastes delicious).


Prepare the eggplant:


1. Cut the eggplant into medium slices, not too thick and not extra thin.
2. Place them in a colander with a container below and sprinkle them with salt, leave for 20 minutes. It makes them drain their bitterness and excess water.
3. Dry with paper towels or a clean towel.
4. Put them on an electric grill (about 250F), until they are soft and cooked. After they are all done, set them aside.

 Prepare the lentil “minced meat”:

1. Boil water in a pot.
2. Place the lentils in a colander and wash.
3. When the water is boiling, pour the lentils. Check them constantly because I boiled mine for 10 minutes and they got super soft, which is not bad but if you want them a bit more chunky you'll have to remove them before.
4. Drain them.
5. Dice the onion and carrots.
6. Sauté in a pan with a touch of coconut oil. When they are soft and ready, pour the lentils into the pan, add salt and pepper. It will look like a chunky hummus.


Prepare the white sauce:

I always do this sauce without measuring anything…

1. In a small saucepan pour a little olive oil and add a touch of oatmeal flour.
2. Mix it with a whisk so it turns into a paste.
3. Immediately add almond milk and whisk, add more and more flour to thicken it up and balance it with more milk. Add nutmeg and salt to taste.
4. Wait for it to boil (always whisking to avoid lumps) and immediately lower the heat, leave a few seconds more and remove it.

Assemble the lasagna:

Use a rectangular baking container, start with a layer of marinara sauce, then eggplant, lentils, white sauce and so on. The last layer I added was the lentils so they get slightly “crunchy” in the oven.

Pre-heat to 400F. Then introduce the lasagna, placing it in the center of the oven for it to cook evenly. Leave for 40 minutes and enjoy.



Hope you like it! let me know in the comments if you prepare it, or tag me on instagram so I can see your delicious creations :)

With Love,
Romina

2 comments: