Menu

Monday, November 18, 2013

DECORATING OUR TREE AND VEGAN BANANA PANCAKES

On Saturday, my husband Savy and I decided it was time to put up our (mini) Christmas tree. It’s no secret that I'm a nerd when it comes to this time of year...I LOVE IT…my childhood memories, family gatherings, gifts (I'm one of those that wakes up on Christmas day at 7 am to open the presents as if I was 10 years old), the atmosphere in the streets, the birth of Jesus…*sigh*

Unfortunately all our family is far away and is pretty lonely around here, that's why we brought the joy ahead of time, planned our Thanksgiving dinner already (which I'll post here), and brought the magic to the house. Besides, even if it sounds corny, we are trying to create certain traditions for when we have kids at home *wink wink*.


Here are the pictures and also the recipe for my vegan banana pancakes:



The first thing we did was preparing some yummy pancakes to get in the mood :) Savy's are traditional, made with wholewheat flour, coconut milk and eggs, mine are vegan with banana and oatmeal. There are more mushy than regular pancakes, in fact I recommend for you to make them smaller and stack 'em when ready, the banana flavor is super yummy and I especially like to eat it with almond butter or tahini, a touch of maple syrup and some unsweetened shredded coconut (tropical). Here is the recipe:

 Ingredients (3 pancakes)

    1 ripe Banana
    1 tspn baking powder (aluminum free)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1 Flaxseed egg: 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed mixed with 2.5 tablespoons of water.
    1 tspn coconut oil
    3 tbsp almond milk
    1/2 cup rolled oats (I used gluten free)
    1/4 cup oatmeal meal
    Semisweet chocolate chips to taste (I use vegan carob chips).
    A touch of salt




Preparation 
  1. Heat a griddle.
  2. Prepare flaxseed "egg" and let it stand for a few minutes until it becomes thick.
  3. Mix the banana with the mixture of coconut oil, vanilla, milk and mix.
  4. In another container mix oats, flour, baking powder and salt.
  5. Combine the mixture of dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.
  6. Add the chocolate chips and mix everything by hand.
  7. Begin to place the mixture on the griddle, not too thick as it takes a little longer than normal to cook. Wait until they are golden. Remember that they will be softer inside than regular ones, but the taste is delicious.


I can't wait for stocking to be full of all yummy things and bars that I usually don't buy, and maybe some essential oils, organic face masks and candles (In case you 're reading this Savy). My poor husband always tells me he identify what I like, simply because it's the thing he would never go for, the greaner, fruitier, strange looking...He is right.









When do you decorate the tree, and what family traditions do you celebrate? I'd love to read in the comments, and see if I can steal some ideas :) Happy start to the most magical time of year!

With Love,
Romina

No comments:

Post a Comment