Menu

Monday, November 25, 2013

AFTER CHANGING MY LIFESTYLE AND DIET 6 MONTHS AGO, HOW AM I DOING? THE TRUTH, AND NOTHING ELSE

This weekend I was thinking a way to finish the last month of the year in a super positive way. First of all, I’m so thankful because during 2013 I have learned so many new things, overcame millions of fears, have studied, worked and was adventurous with my food and health in search of healing, was very loved and always held by God. Anyway, it’s been an incredible 365 days (and by that I don’t mean easy). Specifically, these last few months have been the best I've ever lived from a mental, spiritual and morale point of view. Definitely paying attention to your diet, exercise routine, giving yourself space, doing the little things you love, and venturing with activities that push you out of your comfort zone, takes you to a whole other level.

As I’ve always told you, I'm not a nutritionist, but I do investigate constantly from serious sources, seeking for any information that may help with my health needs. Which hasn’t been that great since a couple of years ago, and no traditional doctor seems to know the causes. Many times I thought it was psychological because every single time the tests came out perfect, but the symptoms were there as well. Many of them have disappeared through my lifestyle changes, but I still feel limited by certain things that give me pain and discomfort. The Romina from years ago, would've been depressed in a corner wondering, why me? probably in bed and living in a mental hole. Thank God now I see my symptoms as a challenge or puzzle, something that makes me strong and motivates me to investigate and try to solve (if that's possible), the mysteries of my body, not obsessing over it, but working little by little to my complete health and vitality. I have faith that it will come.

Intuition is my first weapon, so even if one person or the other tells me that the best thing for me is "this" or "that", every body is unique and I must honestly discern what works or not for me. The choices I make about food are not a trend, but many times they are experiments or trials. In fact I remember in the "about me" section of the blog, I wrote something like: "I will change my mind, you will watch me fall and get up," and that’s exactly what it’s about, to try patiently, to always understand that you are not a disease and that you should enjoy life even if there are very difficult days. If I hadn’t gone through all of this, I would’ve never set my eyes on God, so all in all I give thanks for every tear, because today I smile at life.

Let’s get back on the subject again! I want to finish this year telling you a bit about my process, things that seem to work for me and the ones that don’t (that doesn’t mean it will not be beneficial to you), and a challenge that I will be starting soon and that you are welcome to join. First I remind you that I have been on a whole foods vegetable diet for 6 months, high in nutrients, juices, superfoods, and low in processed foods. I also eliminated all personal and cleaning products that have harmful chemicals and damage the body. I focused on staying active and not having guilt for enjoying ME time while doing things I love (even if they are as corny as crossstitching! which I love, haha).

Now, you would think that after practicing such great habits for a while, I would be an apparition of radiance, that my skin would look like the childlike empress from the neverending story, my body as fit as a Victoria 's Secret angel, and I would be running marathons...the answer is NO (at least for now). I started to feel guilty or rather "defective" because of my expectations. I follow many bloggers who have a similar lifestyles than me and what I see is that they are sort of the “perfect example”, can eat raw desserts every day without gaining weight, fruit at all hours, jog three times a day (I’m exaggerating to prove a point), among many others things... and that makes you think…what am I doing wrong? I came to several conclusions:

- These people just upload the “positive" parts of the process, and since the internet is a world in which you can basically reinvent yourself, all that you see is the amazing side but maybe there are hidden issues that we don’t know about.

- These people are really lucky to have found something that their body is completely compatible with...and gives them that wonderful level of welfare and health.

- That I'm a dummy for thinking I'm doing something wrong (when in the back of my mind I know that I’m not).

- I must understand that every body reacts differently to what you consume or use and that there are no "rules" that determine that by following certain steps you will get to an exact conclusion.

- My body is asking me to not conform and to keep paying attention.

Now, what has worked for ME and what hasn’t?

1. On a vegan diet I feel great in general, my digestion is lighter, my mood is excellent, I'm happy to be contributing to a better Earth and for more animals to be saved and treated compassionately.

2. In these first 6 months I gained a bit of body fat. Nothing too serious (plus I didn’t change my diet for body image but to nourish and heal). Not consuming animal protein makes you go for more grains and complex carbs (which are super healthy by the way), undoubtedly upping your carbohydrate intake more than before. Also because in the beginning your sort of in transitional stage, it takes time to balance and master, but most of all I must say that I let go in the sense that I've allowed myself to eat what I want when I want it, without counting calories, with intuition and being totally permissive. The only condition has always been that it needed to be nutritious, nourishing, natural and healthy. Something that I couldn’t do when I was obsessed with food and I felt guilty for everything I ate, but then binged on anything on site. I don’t want you to be afraid that a vegan diet will make you gain weight, remember it’s more how you handle it. In fact, 90% of the people who right now eat processed food, saturated fats and the SAD diet, when transitioning to a vegan lifestyle, will definitely and beautifully fall into their ideal bodyweight and will enjoy lower cholesterol levels. So don’t worry about that.

3. My skin got very umbalanced :( I know it's bizarre, and still don’t understand what is producing it, but I've had constant periods of greasy face, acne and even rosacea. It has never happened to me before and it’s bothersome. Lots of vegans enjoy the benefits of experiencing great skin, sadly at this moment, it’s not my case.

4. My allergies disappeared. Sometimes I experienced like a light tightening on my throat, it was weird. I kept taking allergy pills almost daily and since I'm vegan I have not taken even one. That makes me very happy.

5. I've had phases where I got really bloated because of the high amount of vegetables and fiber in each meal. Remember that I have IBS, but always when a big amount of fiber is introduced abruptly that tends to happen, until the body adapts. I learned that a digestive enzyme with food and poof! all sorted.

6. It’s more difficult for me to exercise now than before because my energy levels seem to be lower, which seems odd since I eat a high carb diet. Sometimes I have to do afternoon naps and everything.

7. My hair and nails grow like crazy wohoo!

8. On a vegan diet I have become a suuuuper positive and happy woman, my mind is clearer than ever and for some reason I find beauty in everything (your mood and mental clarity are closely related to your diet).

9. I’ve learned to eat real food, to cook it, to choose the right ones and to look for local and organic crops. I also got educated, tried fruits and vegetables that I’ve never eaten before, stared eating simply but delicious, stopped buying things that come in boxes, cans or jars (I buy veeery few processed stuff) and I have a dream to have my own vegetable and herb garden soon.

10. I discovered that corn gives me a slight allergy (my ears and throat itches), raw cacao makes me dizzy (I guess the caffeine?), soy is bad for my IBS, and that the best intimate  “soap" is a teaspoon of baking soda dissolved in 4 cups of warm water. ;)

11. Migraines and headaches gone! I suffered from debilitating migraines that could last up to 7 days. They disappeared! During the first two months of the change I still had them occasionally but then they completely went away.

12. Crazy mood swings dissapeared.

13. I learned to stop taking pharmaceutical pills when I'm in pain or discomfort, and to manage it through supplements, natural medicine, juices and teas, meditation and breathing exercises.

For some reason I am convinced that some of the symptoms I’m experiencing could be caused by candida overgrowth (there is a post on candida if you don’t know what I’m talking about) and not by my decision to stop eating meat. I tried several times to do the candida diet but three weeks without fruit, grains or nuts and basically eating quinoa, millet, low starch vegetables and salad was driving me crazy, and I also think I was lacking nutrients.

With all these pros and cons, I decided that based on the results I’ve had up until this time, it is necessary to modify certain things temporarily to see their reaction, and wait.

Here is my new “challenge” that will start after thanksgiving and will last until the first of January 2014:

- Do the candida diet without breaking it, combining foods properly and consuming only what is permitted (goodbye fruits I will miss you terribly!). I already bought two natural enzyme based products that help eliminate candida and any virus that lives in your body, I’ll recommend them if they work.

- Add two or three animal meals a week (only organic free pasture eggs and wild caught fish). Yeah, yeah I know what you are thinking (and sorry if I offend any of my vegan followers it's not my intention), but we're talking about my health here and I don’t take it lightly. The success of a candida diet is to keep blood sugar controlled and it eliminates many sources of vegetable protein, so I'll do the experiment temporarily to see what happens. Does it makes me happy? sadly no, with all due respect, to re-adapt to something that you don’t like or want but need to do, is hard…but I hope that after my symptoms improve I can go back to plant based.

- Drink lots of water.

- Exercise 5 days a week, no matter what, no excuses, respecting my energy levels, but pushing my limits.

- Having a diary where I write down how I feel, what I ate, if I had pain, how my skin looks, energy levels, among other things. This way I can identify "clues" to help me discover the patterns I've been talking about.

- Continue drinking delicious vegetable juices and smoothies every day.

- Keep eating simple, organic and as natural as possible.

- In this new stage I'll consume more assertive portions without feeling deprived, just trying to hear my "full" signals, rather than eating until I’m stuffed. Basically 80% raw and cooked vegetables and 20% animal protein or carbohydrates on each dish.

- Regulate my sleep cycle (which I've tried for a year without success). Going to bed at 1 in the morning is now normal to me and that is terrible in every way. My goal is to go to bed at 11pm max, and wake up at 7am.

- Post new affirmations around my house, meditate, do yoga, relax and pray continually .

Want to join? Let's give each other motivation! set goals that you know normally would be hard for you to do, but that will definitely improve your health, and commit to them during this last month of the year as a fun experiment to finish it the best way possible. Every day on Instagram I’ll be posting some activities and meals so you guys can see my progress, and if you want me to see yours, just tag your photo with #fitforthejourney and @rominagentilini. I would also love for you to write down in a comment here on the blog your December health compromises…LET’S INVEST ON OUR BODIES AND OUR LIFE, it's the best gift Santa can bring you.

PS: My advice is that the goals that you establish do not make you feel repressed or unhappy. These should be small steps that create a big impact in the long run, with hopes that they become habits and after a month, a part of your routine.

With Love,
Romina

No comments:

Post a Comment