Menu

Wednesday, September 18, 2013

MY FAVORITE NATURAL COSMETICS RIGHT NOW

In the previous post, I wrote about the most chemicals that are added to our everyday products and how they can negatively affect our body. In this past year I've been testing and researching many brands and products, some natural but not so good and others that are great but not so natural. I always keep looking for the best options on the market, but generally, is not a black or white issue and it becomes difficult (there are too many hidden ingredients).
  
Here is a list of the products I use at the moment, I hope it makes it a little easier and guide's you in the right direction so you can replace the toxic cosmetics you still have at home, with smarter choices. An important clarification is that when I recommend a product doesn't necessarily mean I'm supporting the whole brand, as what they use for their other lines may contain ingredients that I don't agree with. Remember to always check http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ to review the score and content of the products (just ask my husband how long I usually take in the "beauty" aisle of the supermarket, checking on the phone what I'm interested in getting). But I know that my efforts are worth it.

Many of these brands can be purchased only through the web, and usually cost a bit more than what you 're used to, but you will be paying for high quality ingredients and safer cosmetics. On the other hand, I don't use millions of unnecessary items and have saved some money there. Less is more!




1. Primal Pit Paste Deodorant (www.primalpitpaste.com): This is a local Florida company, invented by a mom who wanted a product free of toxicity for her daughter. I support the complete line of deodorants, not only because their list of ingredients is simple, but also because it works (sometimes difficult with natural deodorants). I had used the lavender-scented cream and now I'm testing the unscented stick deodorant (which I love even more). They also have a stronger formula for those who need extra protection. My husband also uses it without problems. It is aluminum and paraben free. 

2. Earthpaste (www.earthpaste.com): A toothpaste so safe the you can actually eat it (not that you want to). No chemicals or additives (fluoride, glycerine, titanium dioxide or SLS). What was hard to get used to in the beginning is that it doesn't produce foam and that it's grey, but it works very well and feels super refreshing. I'm a fan of bentonite clay and I'll explain why later, it has wonderful benefits. Also the use of tea tree oil is something I appreciate because it's a natural anti-bacterial. Of the available flavors I prefer the peppermint and spearmint, because they leave that fresh feeling in the mouth. EGW Rating: 1


3. Ziggy Marley's Coco'Mon. Coconut Oil (www.ziggymarleyorganics.com): This is my everyday body moisturizer and makeup remover (can also use it to give a soothing massage to your better half). Because of it's high lauric acid content, coconut oil has anti microbial properties, it's full of antioxidants and it's absorbed slowly on the skin making it hydrated for a longer period of time (with a lovely tropical scent!). It lasts a long time and it's Ziggy Marley's brand which makes me feel like I'm laying on a beach in Jamaica haha! You can use the coconut oil of your preference, my recommendations are that you look for certified organic, cold pressed, unrefined and non-deodorized. 

4. Annmarie Gianni Aloe Herbal Cleanser (www.annmariegianni.com): I found this brand through Kris Carr's website (author whom I love) and I really like it. Discovering facial products that had no weird ingredients was hard, and not only that, but sometimes when you use botanical products they may cause breakouts, something that thankfully has not happened to me with them. These products are on the expensive side but they stretch. The cleanser is an oil, it smells really nice and will last about one month. EGW Rating: 0 

5. Natural Fiber Brush: This post is coming soon! every morning I dry brush my body before my shower to remove dead cells from my skin, stimulate my lymphatic system and get rid of some toxins. 

6. Annmarie Gianni Eye Cream Anti-aging (www.annmariegianni.com): A moisturizing oil for the eyes, it's delicate and I use it in the morning and before bedtime. With a single drop your can cover both eyes. After purchasing, I discovered that it has some ingredients that don't convince me, so I don't think I will be purchasing it again. EWG Rating: 4 

7. Annmarie Gianni Anti-Aging Serum for the face: This moisturizing serum has sunflower extract which regenerates skin cells, echinacea for it's firming effect and flaxseed as a soothing ingredient. It's an oil and it lasts a long time, I use it before bedtime. EWG Rating: 1

8. Annmarie Gianni Herbal Facial Oil for oily skin or acne: I bought this hydrating oil because during my transition to vegan food and juices, for a period of two to three months my face (usually normal skin), was transformed into an oil well with lots of pimples (I guess due to detoxification). I use it after washing in the morning and two to three drops work for the entire face. When I run out I plan to change to the normal skin, as it got back to normal (yay!). EWG Rating: 1


9. Aura Cacia Organics Jojoba oil (www.auracacia.com): When I stopped using conditioner and other hair products, I had to find an option to keep my locks hydrated and shiny, that's when I discovered jojoba oil. It has a similar molecular structure to the sebum that your hair produces naturally, without disrupting the balance of the scalp. Hydrates hair from the inside out and repairs the damage caused by dryers and irons. I use it once a week at the tips (before sleep) and then over the weekend I do a coconut oil mask on my whole hair (I go to sleep with it, braiding it so I don't mess all my pillowcase). I buy it organic. EWG Rating: 0

10. Kiss My Face. Olive Oil Soap Bar (www.kissmyface.com): This soap is the one I use to shower, it's made of 86% olive oil, no artificial fragrances, parabens, SLS or phthatalates. It's vegan, and not tested on animals. The one I buy is fragrance-free. I love it and recommend it. EWG score: 0 

11. Pure Life Soap & Co. Rosemary Shampoo (www.purelifesoap.com): In my search between multiple shampoo brands I tested quite a few, and although I found that the most natural was the one from Bubble & Bee, the texture that left in my hair sadly didn't work for me (Florida water does not help either), plus it was expensive to buy each bottle online. After that, I found this local brand that although is not as ingredient clear as the latest, it's free of petrochemicals, artificial fragrances, dyes, parabens, alcohol, has never been tested on animals and it smells good. I can also get it at Wholefoods, making it more affordable. I don't use conditioner. EWG Rating: 1

12. Epsom salts: I started using them in my baths after doing an elimination diet from Mark Hyman's book, the Ultrasimplediet. He recommends doing this bath to detoxify and relax. I love preparing nice warm baths once or twice a week if I have time, light my candles and listen to good music. Epsom salts helps relieve muscle pain or cramps, relaxes and detoxifies the body, improves nerve and muscle function, plus increases the effectiveness of insulin in the body. 

13. Dr. Bronners Pure Castile Soap (www.drbronner.com): It's a concentrated liquid organic castille soap (which means that it's made only with vegetable oils). Can be used as a shower gel, to brush your teeth, do the laundry and clean the house. Their website is very informative if you want to find out more details. I usually diluted with water and use as liquid hand soap. EWG Rating: 1 

14. Bubble & Bee. Organic Lip Bar in Coconut-Lime (www.bubbleandbee.com): I love this brand and what it stands for, and if you write to Stephanie (the owner) with any questions, she answers! The bar is the equivalent of "chapstick" but completely natural, organic, has pure essential oils, beeswax, sunflower oil, cocoa butter and smells lovely! As I only use lipsticks occasionally right now, I always keep my lips hydrated with this stick. EWG Rating: 1 

15. Badger Daily Sunscreen SPF30 (www.badgerbalm.com): The ingredients in sunscreens bother me (you can see in the previous post). Badger is one of the few brands that offers chemical free sunblock using the mineral zinc oxide as a base. 100% natural and 87% certified organic, it is odorless, hypoallergenic, has never been tested on animals and it has a biodegradable container free of BPA. The one I like is the "Daily" (because it's more liquid), but the "Active" (unscented) is good for exercising outdoors or going to the beach. EWG Rating: 1 
  
16. Redmond Bentonite Clay (www.redmondclay.com): This is a miracle product. It has a gazillion uses (I'll soon dedicate a post to it). Clay has a negative molecular charge which attracts the positively charged toxins "by pulling" them from wherever they are. It's used internally or externally (although I have not tried to drink it yet). I use a cup or two in the tub (when not using epsom) to detoxify, I use it for facial masks and prepare packs for different parts of my body if I'm in pain. You can also use it for fungus, wounds, burns or bites. It's wonderful. 

17. Ion pH. PH Test (www.phionbalance.com): When I first started paying attention to my acid-alkaline balance, I bought these tests, which are little pieces of paper that through saliva or urine show's your current pH. I don't do it every day anymore, just when I suspect that I can be on the acidic side, so I can correct it instantly. 

18. Baking Soda: There is still some discussion about whether baking soda has aluminum or not. I read on a lady's blog that she wrote to Arm & Hammer about it and they replied that his was pure and aluminum free. When in doubt, there are certain brands that specify this in their packaging. Baking soda alkalizes the pH and many people take for acid reflux and other stomach problems. I normally use it  to clean my mouth, in the bathtub (1 cup) mixed with epsom salts, for vaginal baths (not douching, just submerging), and diluted in water to wash vegetables. 

19. Natracare. Organic Cotton Sanitary Pads (www.natracare.com): Sanitary pads without synthetic materials, chemical additives or fragrances, 95% biodegradable and 100% cotton. Many pads contain chemicals or materials that irritate the delicate skin of the vagina. These are comfortable and the cotton cover makes them fresher.


20.Vapour Atmosphere Soft Focus Foundation (www.vapourbeauty.com): *breathe*...makeup, it has been complicated to find you. The truth is that since I started this new lifestyle, I barely use makeup. For special occasions I apply this Vapour liquid foundation. It' organic, light, looks super natural and fresh. The only thing I don't appreciate is the fragance because I'm super sensitive to scents, but it's beautiful. You can also buy samples to see what color suits you best before buying the full product. EWG Rating: 1

21. Real Purity. Natural Mascara (www.realpurity.com): Has a simple list of ingredients, it's not irritating to the eyes and leaves you with long eyelashes (not as full as a regular mascara, but they look nice). The only thing is that doesn't convince me is that it sometimes runs slightly. Mine is almost over and I want to try a new one, maybe the Physicians Formula Organic Wear Mascara, since I've read good reviews about it. EWG Rating: 2

22. Vapour Organic Cream Blush (Color Starlet): It's creamy and comes in a tube. Easy to apply and lightweight, it gives a very natural touch of pink with a bit of sparkle. I love it. EWG Rating: 2

23. Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (www.bragg.com): super alkalizing, I drink it in water and pour it on my salads every day. It lowers glucose levels, promotes the growth of friendly bacteria in the gut and helps with gas and heartburn. I use it as a substitute for conditioner (diluted in water) and pour it on my hair at the end of the shower, it makes it shiny and soft. You can use it as a facial astringent but never concentrated, only diluted. Bragg brand for me is the best because it is not filtered, it's raw, gluten free and comes "with the mother".

24. Nutiva. Organic Coconut Oil (www.nutiva.com): This is the one I use for oil pulling and is my favorite to cook with. GMO free, cold pressed, unrefined and unbleached, chemical free and has not been hydrogenated.

25. Seed. Soy Candles (seedsoycandles.com): I found these candles at Wholefoods and always have them on my room table when I need a uplifting, or in the bathroom tub when I want to relax. The are made with soy and have no lead in the wick. Contain essential oils and have never been tested on animals . My favorite scents are Vanilla Bean and Orange Blossom.

26. Tea Tree Therapy. Eucalyptus Chest Rub (www.teatreetherapy.com): This is a natural alternative to Vick VaporRub. I added it to the list because lately there has been a wave of flu here in Miami and every time I feel throat discomfort or nasal congestion, I apply it on my chest and it helps a lot. Among the ingredients you can find eucalyptus, peppermint, lavender and tea tree oil. The base is beeswax and olive oil, has no petrochemicals and or mineral oil.

27. Shower Gloves: Besides dry brushing, I always apply soap with shower gloves, stimulating circulation and removing dead cells.

Unfortunately I don't use perfume anymore, after discovering what's inside regular fragrances I really think it's not worth it. I'm still searching for a nice smelling essential oil to substitute.

I hope you found the list helpful and if you already use good, natural products, recommend them in the comments, I always enjoy discovering and testing new items.

With Love,
Romina 

PS: Nobody paid for the promotion of these products, the reviews were done on real personal use.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment