Menu

Thursday, August 22, 2013

SPAGHETTI SQUASH MARINARA


*Insert music from The Godfather*


My Italian grandma is about to disinherit me for recommending this pasta substitute that I truly prefer a gazilion times to the real deal. I eat until full and with zero guilt! Here I leave it so you guys can get inspired, next time I will try it with pesto...yum!

 Ingredients:

1 Spaguetti squash
1 Can of organic tomatoes
2 to 3 fresh basil leaves
Agave or coconut sugar
Olive oil
Pinch of salt



Marinara sauce prep:

1. In a saucepan add a splash of olive oil. Then add the can of organic tomatoes, the pinch of salt, and a tablespoon of agave (coconut sugar or any other sugar... in this case I don't recomend stevia because it will give it a strange flavor). In my house we enjoy our sauce a bit on the sweet side, if this is not the case for you, just use half a tablespoon.

2. Mix all the ingredients on high until it boils.

3. When it reaches the boiling point, slow cook and put a lid on the pan. Add the basil leaves at this time.

4. Cook for a minimum 20 minutes, the more it slow cooks the best it tastes (my grandma leaves it for like an hour and a half, talk about killing the enzymes hahaha! but it tastes delicious). I'm always way to hungry so I wait around 30- 35 minutes while the pumpkin is in the oven.

Spaghetti Squash Prep:

1. Wash the squash and cut the top and botton with a sharp knife.

2. Take out all the seeds with a spoon.

3. Add a bit of olive oil (I spray it) and salt to both halves of the pumpkin.

4. Preheat the over to 380 C.

5. Put both halves on a baking tray and let cook for 45 minutes. Touch it with a fork while it cooks, until you can tell is nice and soft (not puree soft).

6. Take out of the oven, and let it cool for a few minutes, then scratch the surface of the pumkin with a fork, you will see "noodles" forming... pretty cool huh?. Put all the contents in a bowl.

7. Mix with the marinara sauce and serve.



You can't even begin to imagine how delicious and simple this dish is, plus is low on calories, and full of vitamin A, C potassium and calcium. It really leaves you satisfied and like you ate a bowl full of pasta. At this moment is one of my favorite foods and I eat it once or twice a week.

Let me know if you prepared it and loved it!

Go Eat!
Romina
 

No comments:

Post a Comment